Explore the rich tapestry of Oaxaca's sports culture with Oax Sport. From ancient games like Pelota Mixteca to modern favorites like soccer and basketball, discover how tradition and contemporary play shape our community's vibrant athletic landscape.
Love Mexican food? Looking for something a little more exciting than the traditional tacos, enchiladas, and burritos? Then look no further – Oaxacan Tlayuda is here!
Tlayudas are large, crunchy tortillas covered with beans, cheese, meat, and vegetables. They are a popular common food in Oaxaca, Mexico.
This delicious, healthy dish can be found throughout Mexico, but you don’t have to go on an expensive vacation there to get your hands on some.
With just a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, anyone can enjoy the delightful flavors of this regional cuisine right at home!
Keep on reading to discover how to whip up this mouthwatering goodness in your own kitchen – always a favorite with kids too!
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes | Service: 4-6 people
- 4 large corn tortillas
- 2 cups of fried beans
- 2 cups of grated Oaxaca cheese
- 1 cup of cooked and crumbled chorizo
- 1 avocado cut into slices
- 1 tomato cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped lettuce, green cabbage or celery
How to prepare:
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Place the tortillas on the skillet or griddle and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until crisp.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the refried beans on the tortilla.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the grated cheese over the beans.
- Add 1/4 cup of the cooked, crumbled chorizo on top of the cheese.
- Place skillet or griddle under grill and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from broiler and add avocado slices, diced tomato, and chopped lettuce on top of melted cheese.
- Spoon salsa over top.
- Repeat process with remaining tortilla chips and toppings.
How to Serve: Tlayudas are usually served cut into wedges and eaten plain as a meal or snack.
Nutritional information (per serving): Calories: 540 | Fat: 34g | Sodium: 1100mg | Carbs: 33g | Fiber: 9g | Protein: 26 grams
Cover Image IG @TlayudasFlavia