Explore the rich tapestry of Oaxaca's sports culture with Oax Sport. From ancient games like Pelota Mixteca to modern favorites like soccer and basketball, discover how tradition and contemporary play shape our community's vibrant athletic landscape.
Mole negro is a traditional pre-Hispanic Mexican sauce made with a mixture of spices, chili peppers, and chocolate. It is usually served with chicken, turkey, or pork and rice.
Perhaps the most iconic dish in Oaxaca, each region has developed its own version. Even families have their own closely guarded recipes – so no two moles will be the same.
This version is quick and easy to make at home, compared to some that can take up to 24 hours! While it’s called a ‘sauce,’ mole is considered the star of the meal.
Preparation time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 2 hours | Serves: 6-8 people
- 8-10 dried chili anchovies
- 4-5 dried paella peppers
- 2-3 chilhuacle negro chili. (or substitute with mulatto or pasilla negro chilis)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into chunks
- Two slices of bread, cut into pieces
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Mexican chocolate, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
How to prepare:
- Toast the dried chiles in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles and soak them in hot water for 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, raisins, broken tortillas, and crumbled bread. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the soaked chiles and chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped chocolate and stir until melted.
- Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the saucepan and simmer for another 30 minutes until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
How to serve: Mole negro is traditionally served with boiled and salted chicken, turkey, or pork – with rice, beans, and tortillas.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories: 330 | Fat: 26g | Sodium: 310mg | Carbs: 22g | Fiber: 6g | Protein: 7 grams
Cover: CC BY-NC-SA 2.0 ryan pikkel @xoxoryan